Pages

17 Aug 2010

After the curtain goes down

What an experience Siren was. We were sold out 3 out of 4 nights (which is great for fringe) and I got good reviews (in person and online). What more could I have asked of that run?

On our final night last Friday, we had a few drinks with friends in the pub downstairs after the performance. On Saturday night, we regrouped over home-made pizza at the writer's house to chat about future plans and possibilities. Can we do it again? Where would we do it? What's next? It's hard not to get excited about the future of this play but we need to balance that excitement against some economic realities.

After the weekend, I was glad to get back into the swing of things. I went to the gym on Monday, spoke to the guy who is fitting new windows in our flat and bought a few bits to stock up the larder. It was a good day.

I know however that the inevitable will happen: I will start missing the energy and purpose of the past few weeks. It's Tuesday and I am already fighting with my email, cursing an acting website and ploughing through the deluge of admin that's been so neglected during the past few weeks.

Because I know myself and can see the writing on the wall, I've decided to keep my acting purpose amongst the admin duties, gym and between auditions by doing some training at The Actor's Centre. I recently did two courses there and they were excellent. I'm also going to get in touch with Rick Lipton, my accent coach, get my accents out of the cupboard, like the dusty costumes that they are, and spruce them up. They could be required to appear in public at any given time so I need them to be fresh and presentable. I need to nail a few monologues for each and revise their lexical sets.

I also received some long-awaited footage for my showreel this week (I'm talking years here!), so getting a new showreel together will keep me quite occupied. Of course, that will need to go up on Spotlight, YouTube, Vimeo and my website.

I have no idea why they call the period between projects 'resting'. I don't sit on my flanks watching telly - nor does any other actor I know. We work so hard between projects - our work is never done. The phrase 'resting' must have either been coined by a non-actor or by an actor in days gone by who had an agent who did all the admin and job hunting for them while they sat around in Bohemian houses getting trolleyed and putting on weight. That is certainly not the way it works in 2010 where you are expected to be lean, skilled and digital.

Do you know where the term 'resting actor' comes from?

No comments:

#navbar-iframe {display:none !important;}